Call for Submissions
Essential Work 2020: A Community Portrait
Deadline: January 15, 2021
2020 will be long remembered as a year of upheaval and uncertainty as the United States grapples with the coronavirus pandemic, racial injustice, political protest, and a heated presidential election. These events have prompted us to ask, what work is essential for our health, well-being, and a more equitable future?
During these challenging times, the creation and sharing of images have raised awareness, communicated information, spread hope, and strengthened connections. The Michener Art Museum is seeking digital images from our community in the Bucks County, Philadelphia, and the greater Delaware Valley region that capture the many meanings of “essential work” in 2020. No professional photography experience necessary to apply. Smartphone photos welcome!
20-25 images will be selected by a committee of community and culture leaders to be displayed in the exhibition, Essential Work 2020: A Community Portrait, on view in the museum’s Beans Gallery from March 19-July 11, 2021. Submitted work may be featured on the Michener’s website, social media, promotional material and publications.Visit Exhibition Page
Submission Deadline: January 15, 2021
- The Michener Art Museum will not use submitted or selected works for any other purpose than this exhibition and its promotion without consent of the artist.
- Submission of work does not guarantee inclusion in the project and selection of work for this project does not indicate the work has been acquired by the Michener Art Museum.
- Photographers retain the rights to their work. Photographers can withdraw submissions at any time until February 5, 2021.
- Photographers should not submit images of recognizable people without first seeking permission from the subject(s).
- All selected submissions will be credited in the presentation with the creators’ names and Instagram handles (if provided). Anonymous work will not be accepted at this time.
- Because the exhibition is designed for visitors of all ages, works that include excessive violence or are sexual in nature will not be considered.