Education and Training: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1924-1928 Cresson European Traveling Scholarship, 1927-1928 Teachers and Influences: His father, J. Horace Rudy, a stained glass artist Albert Laessle and Charles Grafly at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia Connection to Bucks County: In 1936, Charles Rudy and his wife Lorraine bought a 1785 stone house and farm near Ottsville with money awarded from a competition held by the National Post Office. A native Pennsylvanian, born in York County, he found his inspiration from the land and the world around him. Rudy lived and worked at his studio on the farm until his death in 1986. Colleagues and Affiliations: Charles Rudy exhibited with Katharine Steele Renninger, George Anthonisen, Ben Solowey, George Nakashima, Raymond Barger, Anne Darrow, George Papashvily, and other Bucks County artists. The Rudy's were neighbors and friends of writer John Wexley and actor Walter Slezak. Stained glass artists and painters, George and Alice Sotter, studied and worked with Rudy's father, J. Horace Rudy in Pittsburgh and York. Rudy was an active member of the community, serving as trustee of the Stover Mill in Erwinna, and as an active member and trustee of the Tinicum Civic Association for over 25 years. In 1980 he received the Bucks County Art Award for Excellence in Art. He participated in the annual Bucks County Sculpture Shows and the Phillips Mill Art Exhibitions. His work is in the permanent collection of the James A. Michener Art Museum. His sculptures of eleven figures, 18 feet high, decorate the facade of the Lehigh County Courthouse in Allentown. During World War II, Rudy worked as a welder in an aircraft plant. To alleviate the boredom at the plant, he made sculpture out of the scrap metal he collected there.
Image: Photograph of Charles Rudy by Betty Owens and John Shuman; Nancy Hellebrand, Artists in Bucks County, summer 1978, courtesy James A. Michener Art Museum archives